Battling an addiction often seems like an insurmountable challenge. However, many people have overcome their addiction by participating in the 12-step therapy program. Participants discovered that the steps were not just a way to overcome addiction but also guidelines for a new lifestyle. At Ethan Crossing of Cleveland, hope and help are available for you.
We understand that the addiction recovery process is different for everyone. That’s why we have various addiction treatment programs for our clients, depending on their unique needs. Our treatment programs include the 12-step therapy program, cognitive-behavioral therapy, yoga therapy, and more. Learn more about how our addiction treatment therapies can help you get on track for a healthier, addiction-free lifestyle by calling our team today at 855.967.2436.
What Is a 12-Step Therapy Program?
The 12-step therapy program is used today based on the same ideas written by Bill Wilson and Dr. Bob Smith, who founded Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) in the 1930s. For years, the duo battled alcoholism and found traditional therapies unhelpful. However, their attempts to help each other stay sober showed results. They discovered that a combination of accountability, spirituality, and helping others were answers to their urges.
The basic tenet of a 12-step model is that individuals can help each other realize, achieve and maintain abstinence from the behaviors or substances they were addicted to. Individuals can do this by attending AA meetings where they share their experiences and encourage each other in the ongoing effort of maintaining sobriety.
Is a 12-Step Therapy Program Right For You?
A 12-step program helps individuals recognize that they can stop using drugs and alcohol on their own. At Ethan Crossing of Cleveland, therapy and treatment needed to break the dependency on drugs or alcohol are available to participants. Additionally, you also have access to our team of experts who will help you through the process.
The 12-Step Program
Recovery from alcohol or substance abuse is a lifelong and taxing process. There’s no right or wrong way to approach the 12 steps. Steps 1, 2, and 3 are the foundation of the program, and we recommend them to all our clients for daily practice.
According to the original Big Book presented by AA, the 12 steps are:
- Honesty: Admitting powerlessness over the addiction.
- Faith: Believing that a higher power in whatever form greater than ourselves could restore, achieve, and maintain sobriety.
- Surrender: Deciding to turn our will and lives over to the higher power we recognize.
- Soul searching: Taking a personal inventory and examining the past to recognize errors and mistakes.
- Integrity: Admitting to the higher power, oneself, and other persons to whom we have done some wrong.
- Acceptance: Being ready to have the higher power remove any shortcomings in one’s character.
- Humility: Humbly asking the higher power to remove your shortcomings.
- Willingness: Compiling a list of wrongdoings to others and being willing to make amends for those wrongs.
- Forgiveness: Making direct contact with such people who have been hurt wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
- Maintenance: Continuing to take personal time to introspect and admitting when one is wrong.
- Making contact: Seeking through prayer and meditation to improve our enlightenment and conscious contact with the higher being.
- Awakening: Having had a spiritual awakening due to these steps, we try to carry this message to others and practice the principles in everyday life.
Recovery is a lifelong process, and, similarly, it is possible to use the 12 steps throughout your life.
Treatment Programs at Ethan Crossing Cleveland
If you live in Cleveland, Dayton, or the Columbus, Ohio area, Ethan Crossing of Cleveland can provide you services to help overcome your addiction.
Our treatment programs include but are not limited to:
- 12-step therapy program
- Residential treatment program
- Partial hospitalization program (PHP)
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy program (CBT)
Although much of the 12-step program is self-led, it’s essential to work with a therapist through it. You may also find that you need continuous help and support throughout your recovery journey.
At Ethan Crossing of Cleveland, our goals are to give you hope and give you your life back. We will provide a complete assessment of your needs and then make therapy recommendations. For individuals seeking a 12-step program in Cleveland, we can assist in helping them complete their recovery journey.
Learn More at Ethan Crossing of Cleveland
Seeking to join a 12-step program in Ohio? Reach out to Ethan Crossing of Cleveland. Our team of professionals will help you overcome your addiction. Start moving towards a life without drugs or alcohol. Call us today 855.967.2436 to learn more about how you can begin your recovery journey.